Sunday, October 23, 2005

 

The Non-Credible Threat in Politics


I was reminded of Michael Higgins' post on Non-Credible Threat, when I read about how a politician in Andhra successfully black mailed the state governement into meeting his demands. And this is not some nobody, he was a member of parliament at some point and worked a state minister as well. I remember this guy mentioning Gandhi as his idol when he went on hunger strikes, but I don't know of any incident when Gandhi threatened to kill himself. I would have really liked to see what would have happened, had the state government in Andhra refused to be taken at gun point. My guess is, the guy would have backed out, and the opposition parties would have started rioting citing the callous nature of the goverment.

Comments:
Hi Ravi
Thanks for linking to my piece. Yes, it would seem that Mudragada's "fast until death" and other threats were examples of the non-credible threat. I wonder if Indians are more likely to issue and to succomb to these threats? I will say that maybe one reason why these threats work is that there are a lot of crazy people who actually carry them out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?