Friday, March 18, 2005

 

It's all about the umpire


People who came to Eden Gardens from far to watch Steve Bucknor were delighted to see him perform once again. The great man standing in his 100th test did not disappoint the crowd when he gave his trade mark decision, ruling Tendulkar caught behind. Almost all of the paying public are his loyal fans for many years and kept track of his career diligently. "He's absolutely top class," gushed a young boy who begged his father to take him to see Bucknor umpire in this test. "I want to be just like him when I grow up," he said.
But for Bucknor it's a typical day on the field. Back to nets after a tiring day, he practiced his methodical raising of the finger, slowly and steadily. "Preparation is the key," he said. "Everybody has his style -- but I employ guile when I umpire. So much so that sometimes the batsmen are cajoled into thinking they are not out -- but when I think it's time up for them, they have to go." He then practiced his walk to square leg and back a number of times to get his rhythm right. "You don't leave these things to chance," he said.
That preparation since he was a young aspiring umpire, confused as to which sport to choose -- football or cricket, made him what he is today. From the day he started officiating in his first test to his hundredth in Eden Gardens, he always had one motto: the umpire is always bigger than the game.
Ehsan Mani, the ICC president is full of praise for him. "If not for Steve, the game would have gone to pieces. He is the single biggest reason crowds come to watch cricket, or turn on their TVs whenever a cricket match is being played around the globe. Our members always see a drop in attendance when Steve is not umpiring for a Test, or a one-day international. Everybody wants him; some adjust their tour itenariries so as to have Steve umpire in their matches.
It's the other end of the spectrum for the players. He instills a certain fear in them. "I am always worried when the bat does not touch the ball," Tendulkar, one of the Indian cricket players said. "Everytime I missed the ball, I had to go. Then again, it's an honour to be given out by Steve. Not for nothing he officiated in 100 tests." He added, "We all love him very much."
Indian captain Ganguly couldn't contain his admiration. "Did you see the guy?" he said. "Every time he stands imposingly on the other side of the wickets, you know you have to edge the ball. Otherwise you are out -- caught-behind. Personally, I like the ball to come on to my pads obstructing the wickets directly. It's the only way to save myself from an LBW decision. But when a great umpire is officiating, you can't help but being awe-struck. And I just don't mean dumb-struck after being given out -- caught-behind to a wide delivery."
Indian vice-captain Rahul Dravid had excellent things to say. "He is the game; and the game is him. We are all honoured to be playing when he is officiating. When he reached his 100th test, I walked up to him and told him: 100 is not your goal; 500 is. And many more bone-headed decisions." He also agreed Bucknor is a master at playing mind-games with players at the crease. "The gentle rubbing of the ball, imitating my actions in an earlier match where I was fined, definetely had it's desired effect. I marvel at his shrewedness in shattering players' egos. If anything, the he needs to officiate in every test match."
Parthiv Patel the young former wicket keeper for India said he is afraid to make a comment on Bucknor. "I am scared of Bucknor," he said. "Ever since he waved his finger at me in Sydney, I always wake my mother up, if I have to go to the bathroom at night. That's how bad he scared me."
West-Indian captain Lara said he is disappointed Bucknor could not stand in matches that the West Indies played because Bucknor is also West-Indian and cannot officiate because of the ICCs neutral umpire rule. "The reason West Indies matches have poor attendance rates and television ratings is because Bucknor cannot officiate in our matches. We are asking ICC to make an exception just in his case.
Inspite of all the adoration from around the world, Bucknor is humble. "Every time I walk on to the field amidst the cheering crowd, it's for the game of cricket, not me," he says. "But then again, I am cricket," he adds humbly.
So will he stop after reaching the age of sixty? He smiles, "And let the players take the spotlight? No way!"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?