Tuesday, March 15, 2005

 

Ganguly's claims


This was before the first test between Pakistan and India. When asked about his poor form recently, Ganguly replied:
I haven't got a hundred from the last one in Brisbane on the 2003-04 Australian tour, but I still averaged over 50. But, yes, it's a criteria to get a Test hundred; I was close a few times – the next time when I get near to a hundred, I will try and convert it into a big score.
I was curious as to when he averaged over 50. Is he talking about his career average? Or his average since he got a hundred in Brisbane? So a quick look at Cricinfo gave me this: his career average in tests is 42.06. Since Brisbane, his average is 40.9.( Figures before the first test with Pak). He made five fifties ever since and two of them against Bangladesh. Just from an averages perspective he didn't do very badly but claiming a 50+ average is a false claim and there are no significant contributions when the team is in trouble. In the recent past he's been very good at promoting himself as a better player than he really is.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?